An experienced Roading Engineer and Transport Planner with local authorities in the UK and New Zealand, Stuart has been employed as both a Principal Engineer and a Principal Transport Planner, managing budgets of up to $1,000,000. He offers a combination of engineering, transport planning and policy skills along with an ability to present business cases.
In New Zealand, he project managed the Auckland Regional Arterial Road Plan, which the Royal Commission considered a blueprint for roading, and supervised the production of the Regional Road Safety Plan.
Stuart has been in the transport industry in Auckland for ten years and has a wide knowledge of Auckland’s transport issues and the projects and programmes proposed to resolve them. He has detailed knowledge of both Auckland Transport and NZTA’s Planning and Investment Division’s processes and structures, and has an intimate knowledge of NZTA’s funding requirements.
For the five years before joining Resolve, Stuart managed a team of six with responsibility for the production of the Auckland Regional Land Transport Plan and the achievement of $450m of funding from NZTA, which has required good negotiation and business case planning skills.
Stuart has a special interest in transport policy including the allocation of road space to competing modes on arterial roads and how technology can improve transport for all road corridor users.
Stuart’s particular skills include:
- Leadership – 15 years’ experience managing teams of professional staff
- Good interpersonal and negotiation skills – Built strong relationships with the key players in transport at a regional and national level over the past ten years
- Transport planning and strategy knowledge – wide ranging technical knowledge in transport planning. Good understanding of current legislation and both national and regional strategies. Good understanding of the importance of integrated planning, including land use, growth/development planning
- Transport engineering knowledge and experience – 14 years’ experience of transport engineering, including directing other engineers. Specialist design knowledge. Practical experience working as a design engineer and as a resident engineer
- Project Management – Managed and delivered major civil engineering and roading projects to deadlines. Completed paper in project management as part of Masters (2014)
- Business Case Development – Good understanding of Better Business Cases and the Business Case Approach. Seconded to NZTA’s Business Case Capability Project, designed to improve the sector’s capability
- Training – created and delivered training courses on engineering input into a land-use planning system
When not at work, Stuart enjoys tramping with his family and travelling in the third world. Most recently he travelled to Bali with his wife.