“One of the aspects I really like about engineering is that it takes science and facts and applies them to the real world.”
Karen has been with Resolve Group since 2002, the year of its inception. She says the reason she’s still with the company is that its values, goals, priorities and culture are closely aligned with her own, and have meant Resolve has been a good fit throughout the different stages of her life, both in and out of the office.
Karen’s engineering career has seen her work in transport technology, traffic engineering, design, project management, contract documentation, client representation, safety auditing and traffic operations. She has worked for local government and a diverse range of clients in New Zealand and the UK.
A member of the Senior Leadership Team and head of the Transport Solutions Service Line, Karen gets considerable satisfaction from her roles and values the professional relationships she has with her colleagues and clients and the inspiration they provide to improve society.
From 2014 to 2016, Karen was the Commissioning Manager for Auckland Transport’s AMETI Covered Box project. She established the technologies needed to safely and efficiently operate the covered box and integrate it into Auckland Transport’s Operation Centre. This involved developing integration testing methodology and carrying out tests in the covered box prior to opening, including an emergency services exercise. She says this complex project was, “challenging but extremely rewarding,” and considers it a career highlight.
Karen offers her clients:
- An ability to see the bigger picture without sacrificing attention to detail.
- An understanding of the elements of project and construction management, the design process, and the fundamentals of safety and transportation engineering.
- Up-to-date knowledge and a willingness to explore new ideas.
- Sensitive management of client and stakeholder expectations, especially when not closely aligned.
- A successful leadership style that manages teams, and guides stakeholders, with a calm and resolute approach.
Karen enjoys her productive vegetable garden, her middle-aged dog and her three, hockey-playing teenagers. Her family is keen on tramping and has a plan to hike all the great walks of New Zealand.